Directing at ACT
How Directors are Chosen at ACT
ACT chooses its directors each season from a pool of candidates who meet our qualifications and who submit scripts for our consideration. Qualification is determined by the board of directors, and plays are read by a committee of ACT members appointed by the president; once they come up with a proposed season calendar, it is submitted to our paid membership for ratification at the April membership meeting.
Like all others at ACT, directors are unpaid.
If you are interested in directing at ACT, the first step is to get involved with the theater, on stage or off. Get to know current directors and volunteer to work with them (you must serve as a stage manager or assistant director here before you will be considered to direct a play; there are no exceptions).
SUBMISSIONS FOR 2023-2024 SEASON ARE NOW CLOSED.
Albany Civic Theater is soliciting director submissions for our next season.
The new season will open in September of 2023 and run through August 2024.
Please read this packet thoroughly, even if you have directed for us before. There may be some changes of which you may not be aware; this a “must read” for every director. If you are interested in applying to direct, we urge you to:
- Read the information packet to make sure you have, or will have, met the necessary minimum qualifications for directing at ACT
- The New Charge to the Playreading Committee for the 2023-24 season is attached.
- Remember that this year we have a new Diversity and Inclusion initiative. We are focusing on productions with the LGBTQIA+ community and People with Disabilities. We hope to move toward more inclusive Season packages that will include performers and subject matters that will reach a wider audience than we have focused on in the past.
- Start reading scripts
- Talk to other directors. We often find duplicate scripts submitted by separate directors. Communication will help keep that to a minimum.
- Please choose plays that are diverse from each other
- Please submit at least one play that has some form of name recognition.
- Submit up to three plays for consideration by the ACT Play Reading Committee.
- All scripts and accompanying forms must be received at the theater by 5:59 p.m. on Sunday, January 29, 2023.
At the February board meeting, the board will review all directors and determine at that time those who qualify for the season. Individuals will be contacted within that week with the reason(s) and given tools to assist them to meet qualifications for the following season.
Our schedule calls for a recommended season to be presented to ACT members for final approval at the April membership meeting.
If, after reading this packet, you have questions about the process or about plays, contact me by phone 541-990-3192 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Best wishes for the New Year.
President, Albany Civic Theater
Click HERE to download the Call for Director’s packet.
These documents are provided in printable .pdf format which requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. To convert them to a format you can use to type in your submission information, simply open the file, highlight the text, copy it and then paste it into the word-processing program of your choice.
- 2023-2024 Play Submission Packet (which contains: Call for Directors, Charge to the Play Reading Committee, Play Submission Guidelines, Director Information Form, Play Submittal Form)
- Special Event Manual (Please download if planning on submitting a special event.)
- ACT production manual online (.pdf format; 2022 edition)
- Stage Floor Plans (Here’s a separate, printable copy for those who don’t want to download the whole manual.) (pdf – Updated July 2008)
- Audition forms (.pdf)
- Script check-out forms (.pdf)
- Bio Forms (Word doc)
- ACT poster design guidelines
- An ACT-ors Handbook, 2005 edition: guidelines for cast members (.pdf, printable booklet format. An letter-sized version is included in the production manual.)
- Liaison guidelines (.pdf)
- ACT Reimbursement form (fillable .pdf)