So you’ve always wanted to be in a play. Or maybe the idea never occurred to you before, but then you saw a show and thought, “Hey, I could do that!” Or maybe you’re just looking for a new way to have fun and make some friends.
ACT is the place for you.
Everything we do – from acting and directing to building sets, selling tickets and decorating our building – is done by volunteers … about 300 of them each season. And we’re always looking for more.
Here are some ways you can get involved
- Come read a play! Directors often schedule informal readings of plays in advance of audition dates. It’s a great way to find out more about the play and available roles and try out your interpretive skills in a casual, no-risk setting. Check our Readings page to see what open readings are scheduled.
- Try out for a show. We offer roles for actors of all backgrounds, from beginners to the experienced. Check our Auditions page to see what auditions are coming up.
- Even if you’re not sure you want to try out, feel free to stop by auditions and watch!
- Youth Actors: Check our ACT youth program, our special activity for young people from 2nd grade through high school, offering workshops in acting, design and other aspects of theater, plus an opportunity to be involved in a full-scale production.
- If you want to work backstage, auditions are also a great place to contact directors and let them know you’re available. Otherwise, contact the Volunteer Manager and let them know of your interest.
- Usher a show. If you’re not sure where you’d fit in, but you’d like to get to know us a little better, ushering is a great way to dip your toe in the water without a major time commitment. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator and let them know when you’re available, or click here to sign up for open spots for ushers and house managers.
- Teens: Check out YouThespians, our special group for young people from 4th grade through high school, offering workshops in acting, design and other aspects of theater, plus an opportunity to be involved in a full-scale production.
- Newsletter: To stay on top of ACT opportunities, subscribe to our free newsletter.
- Email list: For informal contact with other ACT supporters and volunteers, sign up for our e-mail list.
If you’re already part of ACT, but looking to get more involved, buy a membership and talk to a board member about joining our team of managers, volunteers who take responsibility for everything from writing news releases to preparing lobby displays to caring for our lights, costumes and props!
All volunteers must agree to follow the Albany Civic Theater Volunteer Code of Conduct.
Questions? Contact ACT, or call: 541 928-4603 and leave a detailed message on our answering machine.